MERCURY TEETH FILLINGS
MAY HARM SOME: FDA
In the News...Wed Jun 4, 2008 8:26pm EDT
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Silver-colored metal dental fillings contain mercury that may cause health problems in pregnant women, children and fetuses, the Food and Drug Administration said on Wednesday after settling a related lawsuit.
"Dental amalgams contain mercury, which may have neurotoxic effects on the nervous systems of developing children and fetuses," the FDA said in a notice on its Web site.
"We do believe that the agency will ask for the label to indicate that
mercury is an ingredient in the filling, and that special populations
should be exempt from such fillings, such as: nursing women, pregnant
women, young children, and immunocompromised individuals,
Dr. Powers' comments...
For over 20 years there has been evidence that mercury in traditional amalgum "silver" fillings can be a real health hazard for many people.
Still having trouble believing that mercury and amalgum fillings are dangerous? Check out these links: Smoking Teeth = Poison Gas and How Mercury Causes Brain Neuron Damage.
Here are some recommendations to consider:
Avoid the use of mercury amalgum fillings:
1. If you are nursing, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or may become pregnant
... so basically, all post-puberty and pre-menopausal females! Realize
that once you become pregnant, it isn't safe to have your mercury
removed, so avoid adding more mercury fillings to your teeth if you
fall in this age group.
2. If you are in the category of Young children ... but how young is 'young'? I suggest anyone under the age of 21, as their body is still growing at least until that age.
3. If you are immunocompromised ... but how do you know if you are immunocompromised? Some of the more obvious candidates here would be people that have AIDS or are HIV positive. But, let's not forget about these conditions that involve a compromised immune system, as well:
Autoimmune diseases, some of the more common ones being:
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis
- Graves disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Lupus erythematosus
- Multiple sclerosis
- Interstitial cystitis
- Addison's disease
- Coeliac disease
- Diabetes mellitus, type 1
- Guillain-Barre syndrome
Allergic individuals, such as with:
- hay fever
- food allergies
History of (or at risk for) having Cancer
History of (or experience repeated) Infections
- yeast and/or vaginal infections
- skin and/or bacterial infections
- colds/flu and/or viral infections
You are over the age of 65 (studies show that the older most people get, the weaker their immune system becomes)
Even if you haven't been diagnosed with any of the above conditions (and you would be the exception!), how do you know if your immune system is compromised or not? To help clarify, let's look at a short list of things that weaken or compromise your immune system's health:
Non-restorative sleep ... do you sleep soundly and awaken refreshed, and are you truly gettting the quality and quantity of restorative sleep that your body needs? (how do you know? ... and what do you do to get better sleep?)
Inappropriate exercise ... do you exercise consistently, and in a way that is actually good for you? (how do you know?)
Excessive toxicity ... do you have more toxins in your body than your body can deal with without compromising your health (and immune system)? (how do you know?)
Unmanaged stress ... how well is your body handling the various and multitude of stressors in your life, including emotional stress, mental stress, electromagnetic stress, chemical stress, biomechanical stress, etc.? (how do you know? ... and do you know what to do about it?)
Insufficient nourishment ... do you have any nutrient deficiencies (how do you know?), and are you eating plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats/oils and proteins every day?
SO, YOU ONLY HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MERCURY "SILVER" FILLINGS IF...
- You are under 21 years old, OR
- You are over 65 years of age, OR
- You are a female and are post-puberty and pre-menopausal (pregnancy risk), OR
- You are pregnant or nursing, OR
- You have (or have had) an autoimmune disease, OR
- You have (or are prone to) an allergy, OR
- You have (or have had) cancer, OR
- You have (or are prone to) infections
- You aren't getting enough restorative sleep, OR
- You don't get regular, appropriate, exercise, OR
- You have any nutrient deficiencies, OR
- You have more stress than you can handle!
IF THE SHOE FITS...
If you fit the description of any of the above categories, it would be wise to consider avoiding putting additional mercury amalgum "silver" fillings in your mouth! You may also might want to find out if removing yours might help you (and your immune system!) LOOK, FEEL, OR FUNCTION BETTER!
Removing mercury amalgums does pose a risk for increasing your mercury exposure. Before replacing your fillings with less toxic substances, seek professional advice to determine:
- Is it safe to do so now ... in other words, are your current detoxification pathways working sufficiently to handle the extra load placed on it during the mercury filling replacement process?
- How to improve your body's mercury detoxification pathways
to go to get a dentist who has been adequately trained, experienced,
and has the appropriate equipment to remove your mercury fillings in a
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Why take the chance of putting more stress on your body and immune system than it already has? Take the safe road and avoid mercury amalgum fillings, and use one of the healthier alternative solutions.
- For more information on evaluating your immune system's health and/or the possible need to safely detoxify mercury (or other toxic substances) from your body, contact our office at (772) 283-4046 and schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Powers.
- If you are wondering if it is appropriate and SAFE to remove any mercury fillings that currently reside in your mouth (and in your body!), call Dr. Powers for a consultation appointment.
- To answer any of the above how do you know questions, so you can learn how to maximize your exercise, dietary, sleep, or stress management needs, schedule an appointment with Dr. Powers and learn how!
- For more information on scheduling an appointment to replace your mercury fillings (after you have determined it is safe to do so), contact Dr. James Medlock in West Palm Beach, FL, at www.medlockdds.com.