What is a HOLISTIC PRIMARY CARE?
In order to define Holistic Primary Care, I'll first clarify what it means it means to be a Primary Care Physician.
Primary Care Physician
Medical Doctors (M.D.) and Doctors of Chiropractic Medicine (D.C.) are the only two licensed healthcare providers that are considered Primary Care Physicians in the state of Florida.* This is because it has been determined that MD's and DC's have both received the necessary medical training to properly evaluate you and render a diagnosis.
In fact, the basic curriculum at medical and chiropractic schools are almost the same. The primary differences are that medical physicians take some courses in minor surgery and in prescribing medication; while chiropractic physicians receive additional education in x-ray diagnosis, and in chiropractic adjusting techniques.
Since they are both Primary Care Physicians, one can go to either a Medical or Chiropractic Physician for assistance and guidance for most non-emergency healthcare complaints. (Obviously, true medical emergencies should go directly to the emergency room.)
Primary Care Physicians also have the authority to refer you to another healthcare specialty for evaluation and/or treatment, if he deems this to be necessary.
"Holistic" Primary Care Physician
To distinguish from a conventional or "traditional" Primary Care Physician, the description "Holistic" indicates that the physician has additional training in complementary or "alternative" healthcare practices.
Unfortunately, there isn't a clear-cut definition of "Holistic" when used to describe a practitioner's service and expertise.
As a "Holistic" Primary Care Physician, I mean that:
• I view the body and mind as a whole, single entity, that is much more than just the sum of its individual parts.
• I acknowledge the intelligence that created and maintains our body/mind, through its inherent healing process.
• I utilize diagnostic and treatment approaches that respect Nature's design, focusing on restoring balance and harmony from within.
• I apply the principles of Functional Medicine, which focuses on looking below the "surface" where the true causes of illness originate. (Functional Medicine is personalized, science-based healthcare that deals with primary prevention and underlying causes of symptoms and chronic disease.)
A core aspect of my approach is to teach, inspire, and support you in improving your health and quality of your day-to-day living through the use of the most natural, safe, beneficial, and efficient health interventions, emphasizing the most authentic educational resources available today.
* In some states, Naturopathic Physicians are also licensed and recognized as Primary Care Physicians.
Why consult a Holistic Physician?
It is often challenging for people to know who and what to trust when it comes to their healthcare guidance. They are bombarded with tips, programs, and advice from the media, friends, family, the internet, as well as from various healthcare practitioners, all with sometimes very different answers to their questions.
Many have shared with me that they are often more confused than helped by the wide range of contradictory opinions and advice, and with good reason. Here is why the "recommendations" are so varied, and range from helpful to potentially harmful:
1.Much of what is shared is based on short-term or individual results. In their enthusiasm to share something that seemed to work for them, many people assume that the benefits they experience are sustainable, and will help others similarly.
2. Antiquated models of healthcare form the basis of many opinions. Staying abreast of the most recent advances and developments in diagnosing illness and in promoting health is time-consuming, costly, and challenging. So, advice is often based on antiquated, inefficient if not ineffective, approaches.
3. Inability to decipher research studies leads to inaccurate guidance. For most (people, agencies, the media, etc.), it is difficult to be able to differentiate valid research findings and results, from erroneous, and often biased, research conclusions about what helps vs. hurts us.
4. Advice is often based on limited knowledge of how the body functions. Without the benefit of a thorough understanding of the multiple complexities of the human body and how it responds to change (like from supplements, drugs, exercise, etc.), it is difficult to come away with safe, clear and truly helpful guidance.
So, it is understandable why so many people are led to decisions about their health based on ill advice or incomplete information, producing limited, and potentially harmful, results, and expenses they can't afford or didn't expect.
Expert Guidance + Proper Support = Results
While accessing authentic information is beneficial, my experience suggests that most people need assistance with uncovering the underlying causes of their health condition. They also require some personal guidance, monitoring of their progress, and on-going coaching, to sustain their efforts, and ultimately, to help them reach their health goals.
It is with this in mind that I offer the most authentic and evidence-based diagnostic testing, nutritional advice, treatment options, and educational tools available, to safely and efficiently promote healing and prevent disease.
As a Holistic Primary Care Physician, I also oversee all aspects of one's health, clarify additional treatment and diagnostic options, analyze and interpret any lab and testing results, and refer to other medical specialties and alternative modalities, as indicated.
I utilize the principles of Functional Medicine, which focuses on looking below the "surface" where the true causes of illness originate.
Functional Medicine is personalized, science-based healthcare that deals with primary prevention and underlying causes of symptoms and chronic disease.
A core aspect of my approach is to teach, inspire, and support you in improving your health and quality of your day-to-day living through the use of the most beneficial and efficient health interventions and educational resources available today.